About Sociology at The University of Iowa
Graduate study in sociology focuses on the Doctor of Philosophy. Students are awarded the M.A. as they fulfill requirements for the Ph.D. degree.
The graduate program in the Department of Sociology and Criminology develops professionals who are qualified to conduct original research in the field of sociology and serve the discipline and larger community through teaching and/or other applications of sociological and criminological knowledge.
To develop the expertise to conduct original research in sociology and criminology that is publishable in scholarly outlets.
In addition to preparing students for careers in social service, criminal justice, and other areas, the sociology major offers an integrated package of courses, research training, writing enhancement, international perspective, and internships to provide graduates with impressive credentials. The degree also prepares students for further graduate or professional study in areas such as social work, urban and regional planning, law, criminal justice, and social policy. Teaching positions in colleges or universities and research positions in academic, private, and governmental organizations often require advanced degrees in sociology.
- History of Sociological Theory
- Research Design and Methods
- Sociological Data Analysis
- Linear Models in Sociological Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology Organisational Behaviour View 288 other Masters in Organisational Behaviour in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A Department of Sociology Application Statement
- Application for Graduate Awards
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.