Department of Linguistics graduate programs emphasize theory and research. Students interested in non-university careers also may take courses in applied linguistics and other fields as an option in the M.A. program.
Iowa's linguistics department has particular strengths in phonology, syntax, and second language acquisition (SLA). The master degree in Linguistics is offered by The University of Iowa.
The phonology curriculum emphasizes current theoretical perspectives, including optimality theory, and the collection, description, and interpretation of novel phonological and phonetic data. Courses feature extensive work in data analysis and problem solving, focusing on construction and evaluation of phonological theories, particularly in light of new empirical data.
- The Department of Linguistics has a laboratory equipped with 20 computer workstations for small group instruction, individual work, and student research in speech analysis, second language acquisition, computational linguistics, and other areas.
- The department also has a soundproof booth connected to a computer with software for speech analysis. Remote terminals and personal computers also are available to students.
- The departmental reading room, which contains a modest library, provides a common meeting place for faculty and students.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Articulatory and Acoustic Phonetics
- Proseminar: Morphosyntax
- Introduction to Syntax
- Introduction to Phonology
- Syntactic Theory
- Phonological Theory
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 693 other Masters in Languages in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A statement of purpose
- Answers to supplemental questions from the Linguistics department
- PhD only – writing sample
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11665 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.