About Geography at The University of Iowa
Master of Arts students follow one of two tracks. The professional track is designed as a terminal nonthesis degree that prepares students to enter the workforce directly after receiving an M.A. degree. The thesis track includes an independent research project and prepares students to enter a Ph.D. program or a career that requires creative research in selected areas of geography.
The department provides opportunities for graduate students to gain practical experience through service as departmental teaching or research assistants. In addition, graduate students often compete successfully for intramural and extramural funding for graduate education.
Graduates hold positions on college and university faculties, in private research organizations, and in business and government.
Courses in geography are commonly required of students preparing to teach at the elementary and secondary school levels or to work in planning and public affairs. The degree also provides a solid background for many related professions, including law, health care, environmental engineering, and business.
Geography majors also are encouraged to participate in an internship. The department maintains close ties with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and other local agencies that offer internships.
- Earth Surface Processes
- Geography of Health
- Hungry Planet Global Geographies of Food
- GIS for Environmental Studies
- Geographic Databases
- Geography Colloquium
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 202 other Masters in Environmental Management in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- A statement of purpose
- Supplemental Graduate Application Form
- Application for Graduate Awards
- A copy of the IELTS or TOEFL for all international students
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 24 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.