The Economics training at Boston University provides a thorough understanding of fundamental economic principles, application of mathematical methods and modeling, and the use of computer software for large-scale data analysis. It is accomplished through the economics core (four courses in microeconomics, macroeconomics, statistics, and econometrics) and four elective courses. These courses are designed exclusively for master’s students, distinct from our PhD and undergraduate offerings. The elective courses develop quantitative skills and specialized knowledge in nearly all major areas of economics and are taught largely by our own research faculty. The entire program may thus be completed in one academic year. The MA in Economics is a STEM-designated degree program.
Applicants to this program should have, or be expecting, a bachelor’s degree in economics, economics and mathematics, or a closely related discipline (from an institution recognized by the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences).
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of fundamental economic principles and be able to apply these ideas to analyze public policies, business practices, and real-world events.
- Have the ability to apply mathematical methods, through modeling and large-scale data analysis.
- Acquire in-depth knowledge in several areas of economics, as well as a broad perspective on the subject.
- Be able to conduct scholarly and/or non-academic work in a professional and ethical manner.
- Microeconomic Theory
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Elementary Mathematical Economics
- Statistics for Economists
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
It is strongly recommended that international applications (will all required credentials) be submitted by december 1.
DisciplinesEconomics View 370 other Masters in Economics in United States
- Two academic recommendations (MA)
- Personal statement/statement of purpose
- Official GRE General Test score report
- Certified English translations of all transcripts and academic records.
International54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.