There is also a smaller master’s degree program for students who wish to pursue philosophy as a secondary degree in addition to their primary study at the University.
We offer a master degree in Philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh. Other areas of ongoing interest include social and political philosophy, feminism, and Marxism. Although many figures in the history of philosophy are actively studied and taught in the department, a few may be singled out as the focus of especially wide attention, including Plato, Aristotle, the Hellenistic philosophers, Descartes, Kant, Hegel, Frege, and Wittgenstein.
The department’s courses, topical offerings, and coverage are unusually broad, not merely because the faculty is relatively large, but also because nearly every member of the department has more than one area of specialization—often several.
- History of philosophy—especially ancient, modern, and 19th-century philosophy
- Metaphysics, epistemology, and the philosophy of language
- History and philosophy of science, including (but not limited to) the foundations of modern physics
- Ethics, value theory, and moral psychology
- Formal philosophy and philosophical logic
- Mathematics (both foundationally and historically motivated)
- Philosophy of mind
- The Department of Philosophy collaborates with the Department of Classics and the Department of History & Philosophy of Science in offering a joint program in Classics, Philosophy, & Ancient Science.
- The philosophical climate is further enriched by the presence of the Center for Philosophy of Science, which has visiting fellows in residence each year, and by the graduate programs in philosophy at neighboring Carnegie Mellon University and Duquesne University.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Liberal Arts View 716 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Official Transcripts of all Undergraduate and Graduate Work
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Writing Sample
- Application Fee
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (Non-native English speakers)
International42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 24 months.
National42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State24962 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24962 USD per year during 24 months.
Part-time: LOCAL: $1,003 per credit NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL: $1,728 per credit
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.