The graduate program in Hispanic Languages and Literatures at the University of Pittsburgh offers a five-year Doctor of Philosophy with an en route Master of Arts degree and a terminal Master of Arts degree. All graduate students specialize in Latin American literature and elect a minor field in Peninsular or Brazilian literature or cultural studies.
We encourage interdisciplinary perspectives; many students supplement their HLL studies in Hispanic languages and literatures by pursuing related work in other Pitt programs and departments. These include the Center for Latin American Studies and Pitt programs in Cultural Studies, Women's Studies, Film Studies, West European Studies and Hispanic Linguistics.
Faculty interests and areas of specialization span a range of topics: as noted, collectively the department’s strengths are in the areas of Latin American literature, cultural theory, and cultural studies, with special depth in race, ethnicity, and post-colonial studies.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Special Topics in Cultural Analysis: Sexuality in Contemporary Mexico
- Readings in Critical Theory: Latin American Cultural Failures
- Professional Writing: Prospectus, Papers, Grants
- Contemporary Latin American Film
- Seminar: 20th Century: Metaphores-Eating-Lusophere
- Colonial Topics: Indiginous Thinkers in Colonial Andes
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 387 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The application forms should be filled out and submitted through the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences’ Apply Yourself Application System.
- In addition to completed forms, applicants are required to submit a fee of U.S. $50, a brief (2–3 page maximum) statement of academic interests, three (3) letters of recommendation, unofficial transcripts of all post-secondary academic work, and official translations if documents are not already in English.
- Applicants for the graduate program must submit a sample of written work.
- The GRE is not required for applicants to the Hispanic Languages program.
International39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 60 months.
National39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 60 months.
In-State23530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23530 USD per year and a duration of 60 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.