The “preliminary examination” in the Department of Geology & Environmental Science is based on the student's record of performance in these courses. Students will be considered to pass the preliminary exam when they have achieved a grade of “B” or better in each of the courses.
We offer a master degree in Geology and Environmental Science at the University of Pittsburgh. The student must take GEOL 2001 and GEOL 2468, in addition to three “core” courses from the list below, which are relevant to their research. In addition, students should take at least one course from a subfield markedly outside their research area. This course must be approved by the graduate committee.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Each M.S. candidate must prepare a thesis demonstrating successful completion of the research project as well as competency in the methods and techniques of scientific investigation in the field of her/his area of specialization.
- The thesis must be clearly, logically, and carefully written. The thesis should contain an introductory statement, including appropriate justification of the research, a description of methods and observations of the investigation, evaluation of the significance and meaning of the results, and a final summary.
- The Major Advisor must approve the content, format, and grammar prior to submission of the thesis to the Thesis Committee. The Major Advisor should also ensure that the thesis is in acceptable form before requesting review by the Thesis Committee members.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology Environmental Sciences View 403 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United States
- Complete the online application form.
- Personal Statement: A brief statement of purpose (typically 1-2 pages) that addresses your specific interests and professional goals in Geology & Environmental Science.
- Required Writing Sample: 5-10 pages of your own writing, not from a group effort.
- Official transcripts for all college-level institutions attended (undergraduate and graduate study).
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores.
International39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State23530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23530 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.