Designed for clinicians, lawyers, and students of the humanities and social sciences, the program emphasizes the philosophical foundation of bioethics. This program, founded in 1989, affords students the opportunity to observe ethical issues as they arise in clinical practice and to pursue in-depth research.
Course work allows students to combine study in ethical theory, philosophy, history of medicine, cultural and gender studies, health law, public health, and the social sciences. The program may be completed in one or two years, depending on the student’s prior experience and training.
The MA curriculum in Bioethics program from the University of Pittsburgh includes core courses, electives, clinical practica, and the MA thesis project. The degree is intended primarily to complement and enhance other graduate or professional education, although some students pursue the degree immediately upon graduation from college.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Center provides Program students with a full calendar of educational opportunities in bioethics, health policy, and the medical humanities including Bioethics Grand Rounds in several clinical departments and the School of Public Health, the Center’s Medical Humanities Lecture series, Center colloquia, and the CF Reynolds Medical History Society Lecture Series.
- These forums feature visiting scholars as well as University of Pittsburgh faculty, and allow students to engage with members of a national and international community of bioethicists.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Philosophy & Ethics View 210 other Masters in Biomedicine in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Online application form.
- $75 application fee. The fee can be paid by credit card or by check or money order payable to the University of Pittsburgh.
- Digital scans of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Official transcripts are not required during the application process. Applicants who are accepted will be required to submit certified transcripts when they accept the offer of admission and matriculate.
- Three letters of recommendation. The most informative letters of recommendation comment on the applicant’s critical reasoning ability and writing skills.
- A personal statement of reasons for entering the program and goals for study within it.
- A writing sample.
International39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State23530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23530 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.