The M.S. in Childhood Education (Grades 1-6) at Long Island University (LIU) program is designed for individuals who have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and college and who wish to begin a new career as a certified school teacher. Upon graduation, you will be eligible for Initial Teaching Certification from New York State. In addition, current teachers who have bachelor’s degrees in education and Initial Teaching Certification may use this program to expand their expertise to the first through sixth grade levels. This program meets the New York State master’s degree requirements for Professional Teaching Certification.
The M.S. degree curriculum comprises 11 education courses (33 credits) plus field experience, supervised student teaching (6 credits) in a public or private school, and a culminating experience. Courses range from “The Psychological Foundations of Education,” which covers a wide variety of factors that affect teaching, learning and development, to “Accommodating Learners with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings,” which includes instruction in assistive and teaching technologies to help integrate students with disabilities into the classroom. Specific courses are devoted to teaching social studies, mathematics and science in the elementary school grades, and to remedial and developmental reading. After completing 12 education credits, all students take a seminar in Health and Substance Abuse.
Student Teaching Portfolio (39 credits), which consists of artifacts from your student-teaching experiences (i.e., lesson plans, journal of experiences, research, reports and projects).
Comprehensive Exam (39 credits), which is a written essay exam that assesses your knowledge of teaching and the teaching process that was acquired throughout the program’s coursework. There is no thesis/research paper required for this option. This option is for students whose student-teaching requirements are waived.
Education Thesis (42 credits), which consists of an original research paper. This option requires three additional credits. Students can pursue the thesis in lieu of the Comprehensive Exam or Student Teaching Portfolio. This is an option sought by students who plan deeper research at the post-master’s level.
The teacher-education programs in LIU Post’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction are nationally accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC), ensuring you receive the highest quality instruction.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Literacy Teaching and Learning: Birth-Grade
- Literacy Assessment for the Classroom Teacher: Birth-Grade 6
- Accommodating Learners with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (Includes Technology and Inclusion)
- Pedagogical Core Requirements
- Teaching Social Studies in Grades 1-6
- Teaching Mathematics in Grades 1-6
- Teaching Science in Grades 1-6
- Adolescent Health-Risk Wrkshp
- Pre-Student Teaching Seminar: Critical Issues in Education
- Supervised Student Teaching and Seminar in the Elementary School
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We have rolling admissions. As an international student it is important to apply as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get your visa.
39 to 42
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Early Childhood Education View 390 other Masters in Early Childhood Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application for Admission.
- Application fee (non-refundable). Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 2.5 overall and 2.75 in major grade point average or equivalent in a bachelor's program.
- Personal Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
International1274 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1274 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1274 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1274 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.