The Philosophy department at Temple University also has expertise in European philosophy, epistemology, feminist philosophy, philosophy of mind, philosophy of race, and philosophy of science.a
The M.A. program is designed for students to begin advanced training in the field of Philosophy. Students may plan to continue with a Ph.D. program elsewhere, or may be satisfied with a master's degree for personal enrichment or for pre-college teaching. Students who plan at the outset to pursue the Ph.D. at Temple should apply to the Ph.D. The M.A. can be earned on the way to the Ph.D., if desired.
Interdisciplinary Study: The program encourages students in the M.A. program to engage in a limited amount of interdisciplinary coursework. Students generally take courses in African American Studies, Art History, English, Psychology, or Women’s Studies. A dual-degree program earning the M.A. in Philosophy/M.A. in Urban Bioethics is also now being offered with the Lewis Katz School of Medicine.
Affiliation(s): The Greater Philadelphia Consortium provides expanded course options for graduate work in Philosophy. Students enrolled in the M.A. program at Temple may take graduate courses at the University of Pennsylvania and Villanova University.
M.A. graduates often find employment as teachers in community colleges and in other professions. For university teaching, the Ph.D. is necessary.
- Special Topics in Philosophy
- Intermediate Logic
- Philosophy of Science
- Feminist Epistemology and the Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Medicine
- Special Topics in Philosophy
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Contemporary Ethical Theory
- Feminist Ethics and Political Philosophy
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 348 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Complete online application
- Letters of Reference: 3
- Statement of Goals: In approximately 500 to 1,000 words, address your interest in Temple's program, your research goals, your future career goals, and your academic and research achievements.
- Standardized Test Scores
- Resume: A short curriculum vitae should be submitted with your application.
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International39870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
National39870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State28980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 966 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.