The program enables students to build on these foundations while pursuing their own areas of interest by requiring them to produce an original Master's paper. The MA/JD is generally a four-year program.
Gender and Women's Studies degree offered by the University of Arizona is generally a four-year program, although several students have accumulated enough units to graduate one semester early. A minimum of 21 units of graduate coursework in Gender and Women’s Studies, plus 15 units of approved law coursework are required for the 36-unit M.A. in Gender and Women’s Studies. Students may transfer up to 15 units of GWS courses and seminars toward the J.D.
Students attend either Gender and Women’s Studies or The College of Law their first year. The second year is spent in the alternate program. Students would then complete their requirements for both degrees throughout the third and fourth years. Courses taken in Gender and Women’s Studies prior to admission to The College of Law cannot be applied to the J.D.
Gender and Women's Studies
The Gender and Women’s Studies (GWS) Department at the University of Arizona stands at the cutting edge of interdisciplinary feminist research and curriculum. The Department was founded in 1975 and gained full departmental status in 1997. It offers BA, MA/JD, and PhD degree programs, and its renowned faculty - composed of 13 core faculty and over 60 affiliates - work in a wide range of areas including:
- Transgender Studies; LGBTQ Studies
- Queer Critical Race and Ethnic Studies
- Chican@/Latin@ Studies; Migration and Borderlands Studies
- Transnational Feminist Cultural Studies
- Critical Health and Body Studies
- Feminist Science and Technology Studies
- Film, Literature & Media Studies; Digital Activism; Feminist Publishing
- Feminist Theories
More informationVisit official programme website
- Feminist Theories
- Feminist and Related Social Movements
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies View 75 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United States
- 3.0 GPA minimum
- Admissions Essay
- Writing Sample
- Curriculum Vitae
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Interest to be considered for a Research and/or Teaching Assistantship.
- Transcripts from all College-Level Schools you have attended
- Official GRE Scores (To be competitive for admissions, applicants must achieve at least two out of the three of the above minimum GRE scores.)
International20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11938 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5969 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.