We organize our curriculum into areas of inquiry rather than genres. In contrast to many MFA programs, our writers enjoy the freedom to experiment across genres and media as suits their creative purposes. Emphasizing experimentation and hybridity, our program invites students to participate in a community concerned with the pursuit of creative writing in a rapidly changing society.
The Creative Writing and Poetics of the University of Washington Bothell poses the central questions of poetics, inquiring into the social, cultural, and technological aspects of writing to ask: How is creative writing an ethical, political and aesthetic endeavor? What forms might creative writing take in an interconnected, transnational society? How does new media alter the environment and possibilities for creative writing?
Each academic year kicks off with the Fall Convergence, a gathering of nationally and internationally renowned writers and artists to engage topics in contemporary poetics. The year closes with the Spring Festival, where graduating students share their thesis work publicly and receive a benedictory reading from a student-nominated invited speaker.
- Focus on experimental writing and hybrid forms
- Vibrant roster of visiting writers, conferences, and festivals
- Evening program designed for students with jobs and other commitments
- Optional residency in second year
- Flexible part-time or full-time thesis completion
- Connections to Seattle’s thriving literary and arts scene
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Writing Workshop: Between Prose and Poetry
- Poetics Seminar: Cultural Change and Writing
- Writing Workshop: Between Fact and Imagination
- Poetics Seminar: Writers’ Research
- Poetics Seminar: Art, Technology, Practice
- Writing Workshop: Processes of Thinking and Memory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 448 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A statement of intent (2 - 3 pages, double-spaced) articulating your goals in pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics. Please address how this program’s emphasis on poetics is a valuable mode of study for you and your creative work.
- A writing sample (no more than ten pages of poetry; twenty pages of prose; or twenty pages total of a multi-genre submission.)
- Unofficial transcripts from all prior academic work (college, university, technical school, etc.)
- Two letters of recommendation, including at least one from a faculty member who can discuss your academic and writing abilities
- A resume or curriculum vitae (c.v.)
- Samples of multi-media or multi-art work if you would like to complement other pieces of the application.
International22738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11369 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National22738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11369 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State13008 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6504 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.