This is a professional postgraduate qualification for biomedical, medical, public health, and veterinary personnel with an interest in global health and infectious diseases.
The Global Health and Infectious Diseases (Online Learning) programme at The University of Edinburgh draws upon the parallels that exist between these diseases, learning from the challenges that exist and aiming to connect individuals to lay the foundations for a global community of practice. Our aim is to provide advanced qualifications for biomedical, medical, public health, and veterinary personnel. The course is designed to instruct students in the practice of formulating and implementing strategies and programmes aimed at renewing and strengthening scientific knowledge development and building human capital.
Our online learning system lets you work entirely from your home location while still earning your salary. This can enhance your learning experience and working knowledge while rewarding you with a highly regarded qualification.
This programme has been designed to help you fulfil leadership roles in international and national organisations that manage health and disease issues. A number of students have also raised their academic profiles through the publication and dissemination of their final year research.
AccreditationTheir courses are accredited by:
- The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)
- The European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education (EAEVE)
- The Australasian Veterinary Boards Council (AVBC)
- The last evaluation was in 2015.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
In Year 1 (certificate), you will take courses that include:
- Global Health: Fundamentals
- Understanding Infectious Diseases
And you will choose one from the following two options:
- a single course in Applied Epidemiology and Public Health
- a course each in Global Citizenship and Globalisation and Health
In Year 2 (diploma), you will choose sixty credits from a range that includes:
- Global citizenship
- An introduction of project cycle management
- Transdisciplinary policy approaches for addressing the public health and development challenges of the 21st century
- The Nexus of Food Security and Global Health
- Neglected tropical diseases
- Emerging infectious diseases
- Travel medicine and infectious diseases
- Globalisation and health
- Public health systems in the developed and the developing world
- The communication of disease control
- Technological advances in diagnostics
- Water and Sanitation
In Year 3 (MSc), you will conduct a written reflective element of 10,000-15,000 words.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- No Attendance
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Sciences View 180 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a biomedical, medical, public health, veterinary or relevant bio-science topic.
- We may also consider your application if you have relevant work experience; please contact the programme team to check before you apply.
International5470 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5470 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA5470 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5470 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev PT intermittent: 10 credits £915; 20 credits £1,825 60 credits £5,470
The University of Edinburgh offers a small number of scholarships to outstanding candidates. These are very competitive. We publish data on the success rate for scholarship applications to help you understand the level of demand.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.