We welcome applications from graduates of all disciplines. Our field is architecture, design and planning but we welcome graduates in environmental sciences and the humanities.
The Advanced Sustainable Design programme at The University of Edinburgh is delivered in a series of practical projects supplemented with workshops and seminars on all aspects of sustainable design. You have an opportunity work in building simulation modelling and gain desirable skills for the workplace.
We believe that successful sustainable development is not achieved only through technical solutions. We explore the complex relationship of design to contemporary sustainable agendas. You will engage in cultural and professional debates about the built environment and gain a distinctive and expert voice in this field.
There is a demand for graduates with expertise in sustainable development and the built environment. In this masters, you’ll gain tangible skills and a portfolio of work to embrace these opportunities. Many of our students use their acquired expertise to set up their own practices and consultancies with a focus on sustainable design.
Our graduates use this degree to progress within their own field, with a distinctive specialism in the job market. Our students sometimes use this masters to change their career path, often finding employment in the large multi-disciplinary consultancies that work on infrastructure and development projects.
Our degree also acts as a stepping stone to doctoral study both in Edinburgh and on a global stage to help meet demand for expert knowledge in this area.
- The first semester is a combination of theory and practice. We will explore the theoretical underpinnings of sustainable design, from a planetary scale to that of a building component.
- Alongside this, you will work on design projects at the scale of both settlements and building systems. We set many of our projects on a global stage, working in a range of climates and contexts.
- The second semester offers an immersive design project that allows you to make your own projects and test them in real contexts.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesDesign View 550 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
- Normally a UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant subject.
- Because of the design element in this degree we look for evidence of engagement with sustainable issues and design.
- We ask you to put together a collection of visual support material of work you have done at University, professionally, or following your own interests. It can include drawings, photographs, journals and notebooks. This should take the form of a PDF portfolio of work and be no more that 10 pages. You should limit your file size to 25Mb.
- If you do not meet the academic entry requirements, we may still consider your application on the basis of your portfolio and/or relevant professional experience.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Edinburgh College of Art scholarships
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.