Students learn to practice as professional social workers with persons and groups representing the range of human diversity and with all size systems (individuals, families, groups, communities and institutions).
The Social Work Program at California State University Long Beach emphasizes ecological and systems perspectives which focus on the fit and interactions of a person or system in relation to the various environments likely to be encountered.
Within these perspectives, knowledge, values, and skills are used in a change-oriented process within a multicultural context to help individuals and social systems achieve improved quality of life and social participation, including advocacy for just institutions and equitable access to opportunities and resources.
The MSW curriculum prepares students to:
- Recognize that the experiential and evolving developmental process may produce a specific and unique set of ethnic and cultural characteristics in each person and group;
- Incorporate significant aspects of multiculturalism, and understand, appreciate, and accept ethnic and cultural diversity in their practice;
- Advocate for persons to keep their ethnic and cultural lifestyles, languages, and traditions while simultaneously facilitating the adaptation and integration of diverse values and customs of local, regional, national, and international groups;
- Engage in evaluation of practice, development of evidence-based practice skills, and strengthen knowledge and skills in research methods and practice; and
- Recognize the components of social work supervision, consultation and administration and be prepared to engage in those roles.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundation Social Work Micro Practice Skills and Interventions
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment: Focus on Prenatal through Adolescence
- Foundation Social Policy: Addressing Oppression through Social Justice
- Foundation Social Work Macro Practice Skills and Interventions
- Research Methods in Social Work
- Foundation Field Education
- Advanced Social Policy: Analysis, Advocacy & Practice
- Social Work Leadership and Management
- Advanced Field Education
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 340 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- Satisfactory academic achievement as evidenced by a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Quality of work, internship, and volunteer experience as evaluated by faculty. This evaluation will be based on the applicant’s resume, Personal and Professional Statement, references, and the length and relevance of Social Work and Social Work-related experience.
- Completion of a prerequisite course in elementary statistics with a grade of "C" or better.
- Submission of a complete School of Social Work MSW application packet which includes the following:three reference forms ,resume inclusive of work, internship, and volunteer experience,personal and professional statement
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
If you are not a resident of California , you must add $396.00 for each unit of credit you take.
CalSWEC Child Welfare
The CalSWEC Child Welfare program is available to qualified graduate students who are interested in pursuing a social work career in the child welfare field. Interested candidates must complete an application process.
CalSWEC Mental Health Stipend Program
The CalSWEC Mental Health stipend program is for graduate students who are interested in pursuing a social work career in the mental health field and are willing to make a commitment to work full-time in a California county mental health agency or a county contracted agency after they have received their MSW degrees. Interested candidates must complete an application process.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.