Prepare for a rewarding career in foreign affairs or national security with the MA in Global Security Studies program at Johns Hopkins University. Our comprehensive program rests on three pillars: military security, economic security, and energy and environmental security.
Courses cover theoretical and practical aspects of global security always closely connected to today’s most pressing issues. Additional elective courses are available from relevant degree programs including Government, Public Management, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Policy and Climate, Environmental Sciences and Policy, and Communication.
Security Is an In-Demand Field
Our graduates start or advance their global security careers as policy analysts, intelligence officers, members of the military, corporate risk analysts, defense contractors, and related roles. They work in sectors and agencies such as:
The Department of Defense
The Department of State
The Intelligence Community
Political risk and consulting firms
Study on Your Terms
About 90% of our students work full-time while enrolled in the program. We offer a flexible schedule with start dates in the fall, spring, or summer. You can earn your degree online, attend evening classes in Washington, DC, or a mixture of both.
- Global Security Studies
- Global Political Economy
- Military Strategy and National Policy
- Energy and Environmental Security
- Climate Change and National Security
- Energy, Security, and Defense
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
we accept applications year-round for all programs
DisciplinesInternational Relations Cyber Security View 323 other Masters in Cyber Security in United States
- A 1-2 page Statement of Purpose. The Statement of Purpose explains the applicant’s reasons for seeking admission and addresses the applicant’s analytical abilities and interest in security studies.
- Recommendations. Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. Professors or supervisors should verify academic and professional accomplishments. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- A 5-page, double-spaced essay on the following question: “America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to freedom and independence of all.” — John Quincy AdamsThis quote reflects the trends in American national security for much of the nation’s history. Are the implications that can be drawn from the statement consistent with the demands of American national security in the 21st century?
International4361 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4361 USD per module during 12 months.
National4361 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4361 USD per module during 12 months.
- $4,361 per course
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.