At the California State University, Bakersfield Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, faculty and students engage in a process of unraveling the creative powers of literature, language, and cultures to widen their understanding and appreciation of cultural and literary expressions across the globe and over centuries.
A special emphasis is placed on a multidisciplinary study of the diversity of perspectives and points of views embedded in literary and cultural expressions and aesthetics. The Master of Arts in Spanish program is designed to enable students to perfect all their communications skills: listening, reading, speaking and writing.
The curriculum is carefully planned and integrated to ensure a foundation of professional skills, and a uniform degree of coverage in the areas of Spanish and Spanish-American literature and culture, linguistics and second-language acquisition pedagogy, and the business-related fields of interpretation and translation.
Students gain an excellent preparation to become far more effective teachers of Spanish or professionals who are able to interact expertly throughout their careers with Spanish-speaking persons.
To meet these objectives, the program provides:
- balance for those who wish to terminate their studies at the Master’s level and whose primary aim is to teach in a community college;
- advanced training for teachers who wish to improve their professional skills and status;
- a variety of courses for students who plan to continue toward the Ph.D. degree at another institution;
- continuing education for those who wish to extend their knowledge as an end in itself through an interesting and stimulating series of classes in literature, criticism, language and culture.
- Literary Theory
- Methods of Teaching Spanish
- Latin American Literature Masterpieces
- Golden Age Literature
- Translation & Interpretation
- Spanish/Latin American Cinema
- 0 The Chicano/a Experience
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 999 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university: official transcripts from all college/university work
- Transcripts from a college/university outside of the U.S. will require a course-by course analysis
- Affidavit of financial support
- Insurance agreement form
- A copy of the student’s passport
- A statement of purpose
- Current professional resume
- 3 letters of recommendation from former professors
International13684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13684 USD per year during 12 months.
National13684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13684 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8932 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8932 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.