The traditional research-oriented Mechanical Engineering offered at the University of Oklahoma program with thesis emphasizes an advanced study and research experience that is particularly suited to prepare students for research and development careers in the industry or the government and for further graduate studies. To be eligible for the research option, a student must have identified an appropriate research area and be accepted as an M.S. thesis student by a member of the AME graduate faculty.
The coursework-emphasis plan is designed to meet the professional needs of part-time students and other students whose background and educational goals may be best served by additional instructed study in lieu of the research investigation involved in an M.S. thesis. To pursue this plan-of-study, students must indicate interest in the coursework-emphasis program on the application for admission. After admission, these students are encouraged to identify faculty members who will serve as their academic M.S. program advisers or they may complete the program under the overall guidance of the Graduate Liaison. The non-thesis M.S. program culminates in a comprehensive examination.
- at least 18 hours of AME courses at the 5000 level or higher. These may include up to 3 hours of Special Projects and up to 3 hours of Guided Independent Studies.Students who elect a two-hour laboratory course may include 1 additional hour in either of these individual instruction enrollments.
- at least 3 hours or more of graduate-level coursework in mathematics and advanced engineering analysis.
- up to 12 hours of approved graduate-level courses chosen from other fields of engineering,the physical sciences, and mathematics, or AME courses. These 12 hours may include up to 3 hours of additional enrollment in non-graded courses and up to6 hours of 4000-level AME courses not required for the B.S. degree in the major field and that are approved for graduate credit.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 476 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in United States
- Our application includes an essay. You can find the questions here. Practice your writing skills.
- Focus on your studies. Academic rigor is important.
- 3.2 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for the most recent two years of their academic work
- Verbal GRE Score: > 157
- Quantitative GRE Score: >163
- Analytical Writing GRE Score: > 4
International41098 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20549 USD per semester during 24 months.
National35004 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17502 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State12050 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6025 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Tuition per 18 credit hours
Living costs for Norman
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.