Working closely with a world-class faculty, students in the M.A. in Religious Studies program at Rutgers University, undertake advanced study and research in one of the following fields:
- Buddhist Studies
- Judaic and Christian Studies
- Religion and Conflict
- Contemplative Studies
- Religions in America
Learning Goals for Religion M.A. Students
- Utilize theories and methodologies. Graduates should be able to identify and coherently discuss the theoretical frameworks and critical methodologies that comprise the academic study of religion. M.A. students should be able to articulate how the study of religion has developed as an academic discipline that stands outside particular religious traditions.
- Critically explain the history and development of select religious traditions with attention to the historical, social, and political contexts. With attention to continuities and innovations as well as claims of continuity and innovation, M.A. students should be able to explain how religions are shaped by their own past and by the past of their society and institutions.
- Place themselves within their scholarly field and subfield. M.A. students should be able to locate themselves within the academic discipline of Religious studies, and more specifically, identify their subfield.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Theory and Method in the Study of Religion
- Apocalypticism: Religious Movement and the End of Time
- Western Encounter with Hinduism
- U.S. Evangelicalism in a Global Age
- Yoga: From Vedic Origins to Western Transplantation
- Religious Pluralism in America
- Just War and Jihad - Traditions and Their Current Use
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 693 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
- A completed online application form
- Official transcripts from previous colleges and universities the applicant has attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- A personal statement (1 to 2 pages)
- GRE Scores
- A writing sample (optional)
- The application fee
- International Students for whom English is a foreign language will need TOEFL or IELTS scores demonstrating English proficiency.
International15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State8868 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8868 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.