The M.A. program in Italian from Rutgers University deals with all aspects of Italian literature and literary criticism. It is open to candidates with academic records of distinction and other evidence of scholarly accomplishments.
Members of our graduate faculty approach Italian culture from a range of disciplinary and theoretical perspectives, such as philology, theology, political philosophy, cultural theory, film theory, postcolonial studies, and cultural studies of food, gender and sexuality.
We offer Master of Arts (MA), Master of Teaching (MAT), and Doctorate in Philosophy (PhD) degrees.
Students in our MA and MAT programs enroll either full or part-time. Full-time MAT students can apply for the Paragano Fellowship for Teachers of Italian.
The Master of Arts in Italian trains students at the highest level to pursue careers teaching Italian language, literature, culture, and cinema studies. Students may also use their acquired skills to pursue careers in publishing, translation, or to work in cultural institutions in the US, in Italy, and abroad.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Italian Women Writers
- Language and Nation in Italian Thought
- Italian Literature of the Fourteenth Century
- Representing War, From the Unification to World War
- Humanist Literature of the Quattrocento
- Landscape and Architecture in Italian Cinema: Antonioni, Pasolini, and Rosi
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguages View 717 other Masters in Languages in United States
- All undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts;
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant's work;
- A statement of purpose, indicating the applicant’s current academic interests and long-term goals;
- For students with American degrees, GRE scores;
- For international students, TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores;
- A writing sample, 1,500-2,000 words in length, demonstrating the applicant’s critical abilities (M.A. and Ph.D. applicants).
International15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National15072 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State8868 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8868 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.