The Gerontology program of San Francisco State University has a curriculum that is designed to:
- emphasize the broad, interdisciplinary nature of issues which relate to and influence older adults;
- provide students with the academic background, professional experience, and research capabilities necessary to pursue advanced study at the doctoral level; and
- prepare students for professional practice and leadership positions in the public and private sectors where gerontological knowledge is required.
- empower students with a vision of social justice, diversity, consumer-driven services, and global issues to promote intergenerational understanding; and
- invest in students a working knowledge of theoretical foundations and prepare students with tools to use quantitative and qualitative methods in applied research for solving a variety of practical problems in the community and link the micro and macro aspects of aging.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Graduate students will demonstrate mastery of content knowledge and professional skills in the psycho-social aspects of aging.
- Graduate students will demonstrate mastery of content knowledge and professional skills in the bio-medical aspects of aging.
- Graduate students will demonstrate mastery of content knowledge and professional skills in the socio-economic aspects of aging.
- Graduate students will demonstrate mastery of content knowledge and professional skills in applied research in aging.
- Graduate students will demonstrate mastery of content knowledge and professional skills in community-based internship in aging.
Gerontology is one of the fastest growing disciplines within the field of Health and Human Services. Current demographic projections indicate that California will experience a doubling of the population over the age of 65 by the year 2020; furthermore, of all age groups, the group over age 85, the oldest old, is increasing at the greatest rate. Not only will there be greater numbers of older persons by 2020, but they will also be increasingly single, female, and ethnically diverse. A Master of Arts (M.A.) in Gerontology prepares the student for effective performance in a career of service to older adults. It also lays a firm academic foundation in applied gerontology for students who choose to work toward a doctoral degree. Students have the opportunity to choose a number of career paths in the field of aging within the public and private sectors.
Gerontology can also be applied to programs of health promotion in both the private and public sectors. Senior centers, retirement communities, long-term institutions and professional organizations serving older persons now recognize the need for making wellness a priority in planning, programs, and services. Health and wellness are also new priorities for school children and adults and students may explore career opportunities for intergenerational practice. Students choosing a Gerontology emphasis in health, wellness and aging are prepared for professional practice in local, state and federal government, the for-profit and not-for-profit sectors and organizations from AARP to the YMCA.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Aging in a Multidimensional Context
- Aging Processes: Health and Human Services
- Age and Social Policy Analysis
- Aging and Diversity
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Aging and Social Services
- Research Methods in Gerontology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesSociology Biology View 346 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Have an earned undergraduate grade point average of 3.0
- Hold the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor's degree
- Apply online on Cal State
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty and/or employers
- Your current resume
- Statement of purpose to the SF State M.A. in Gerontology Program
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.