The school recognizes that individuals with a natural skill in helping come from all backgrounds and encourages them to apply.
The Master of Social Work degree at University of Kansas prepares graduates for advanced social work practice in 1 of 2 broad areas — clinical social work practice with individuals, families, and groups or macro aimed at macro-level practice. The first level of the master’s curriculum is a generalist foundation required of all students. The foundation consists of six classroom courses and a two-semester practicum that reflects the generalist intent.
At the advanced level, M.S.W. students choose a concentration in clinical social work practice with a focus in a particular field of practice - child and family, health/mental health, aging - or social work administrative and advocacy practice. The advanced level practicum implements the student's choice of concentration.
Full-time students complete the social work degree program in two years. Students admitted for part-time study may extend the program for up to four years (see Completion Plans). The regular M.S.W. part-time and full-time programs are offered on both the main KU campus in Lawrence or at the Edwards Campus in Overland Park, KS. The regular M.S.W. full-time program is also offered through the Western Kansas M.S.W Program on either the Fort Hays State University campus in Hays, KS or the Garden City Community College Campus in Garden City, KS in 2016. On the Lawrence campus, morning and afternoon classes are offered on weekdays.
- Field Preparation and Field Seminar
- Basic Field Practicum
- Human Rights and Social, Economic, and Environmental Justice
- Multi-Level Engagement and Assessment: Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations and Communities
- Multi-Level Intervention & Evaluation of Intervention: Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations
- Social Policy, Analysis, and Advocacy in Social Work
- Theory, Values and Ethics in Multi-Level Social Work
- Applied Research in Multi-Level Social Work
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 690 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- Undergraduate studies must reflect the successful completion of liberal arts courses, including those in the social sciences and humanities
- Undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 or above
- Online application including three electronic reference forms and student-issued transcripts from all previously attended schools regardless of degree status
- All applicants who have been employed in a social work setting should submit an electronic M.S.W. reference form from at least one supervisor
- Non-refundable application fee of $65 for domestic students and $85 for international students
International39347 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39347 USD per year during 24 months.
National39347 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39347 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State17241 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17241 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.