The Law program at University of Chicago has about 75 international students each year. All students in this program must have already obtained a basic law degree in their own countries before they can enter the LL.M. program. Students in this program must take a minimum of nine courses (27 credit hours) over three quarters (the normal academic year of three quarters runs from late September to early June). Most international applicants for the LL.M. program must take the TOEFL or IELTS as part of the admissions process (see below). Read more about the LLM Program and application process.
Foreign trained lawyers who wish to remain in the United States and practice law here are advised to obtain the JD degree rather than the LLM degree. The JD degree will enable candidates to take the bar examination in every state while the LL.M. degree may qualify them only to take the bar exam in a few states. In addition, foreign trained lawyers with only a US LLM degree who are looking for long term career positions will be at a disadvantage in competing for employment with J.D. graduates who have more extensive training in US law.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Administrative Law
- Clinical Courses
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure
- Commercial, Business, and Labor Law
- Courts, Jurisdiction, and Procedure
- Family Law, Property Rights, Torts, and Insurance
- Health Law
- Intellectual Property, Technology Law, and Entrepreneurship
- International and Comparative Law
- Jurisprudence and Legal Theory
- Legal History
- Skills, Legal Practice, and Ethics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLegal Studies Master of Laws (LLM) View 132 other Masters in Legal Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You must submit an application for admission through LSAC. Chicago requires both the Document Assembly Service (DAS) and the International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation Service (ITAES).
- You are required to submit academic transcripts from all higher education institutions attended (this includes undergraduate, graduate (if applicable) and law school)
International44434 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22217 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National44434 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22217 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.