As a student of the Philosophy of Religion and Ethics (Distance Learning) programme offered by the University of Birmingham, you will be taught by a vibrant community of philosophers, pursuing original research on a wide range of topics on which expert supervision is available.Why study this course?
- Taught by experts – you will be taught by some of the finest minds in Philosophy. Times Higher Education ranked the Department of Philosophy second in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise.
- Flexibility – you can study at home, in your own time and at your own pace, so you can combine achieving a qualification with work or family commitments. You also have the benefit of developing your career without having to leave employment.
- Career changing – a qualification from the University of Birmingham can be the springboard to promotion with your current employer, the platform from which to launch a new career or simply a way to become more effective in your current role. Studying at Birmingham is a rewarding and enriching experience that brings about significant personal development.
- Support – there is always support available from tutors at the University. The programme is designed to keep you in touch with fellow students and tutors. Our ‘virtual learning environment’ provides a focal point and help provide a structure for your learning. You will be assigned a personal tutor. Personal tutors are available to answer questions regarding the content of your programme, and also to give advice and provide clarification if you don't understand something, for example what an assignment question demands.
Birmingham's Philosophy postgraduates develop a range of skills that are highly desirable in the job market, including: articulacy; precise analytical thought; clarity; rigour in formulating complex problems; and the ability to analyse and construct sound arguments.
Over the past three years, over 91% of Philosophy postgraduates were in work and/or further study six months after graduation. Due to the transferable nature of their skills, Philosophy postgraduates traditionally enter a wide range of employment areas, from teaching and lecturing to social work.
Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include: BBC; Friends of the Earth; Birmingham Children?s Hospital; Highways England; Ministry of Justice; and University of Birmingham.
More informationVisit official programme website
- God, Freedom and the Meaning of Life
- Ethics and Global Ethics
- Philosophy of Health and Happiness
- Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science
- Contemporary Theology of the Holy Spirit
- World Christianity in the Twentieth Century
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 38 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
- You will need an upper second-class Honours degree, or equivalent, preferably in Philosophy, Theology or another relevant subject (e.g. Sociology, English).
- If your undergraduate degree is in another subject, you are still very welcome to apply. We consider every application on its merits and we are happy to consider applicants with diverse academic backgrounds. Your level of academic achievement, letters of reference, and personal statement will all have strong influence on our decision.
International9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: 4,625 GBP per year
- Overseas: 4,625 GBP per year
Scholarships to cover fees and/or maintenance costs may be available.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.