Beyond the MA
The Department of Jewish, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies does not currently offer a home-based Ph.D. program. Students who would like to pursue a PhD in one of the fields of Jewish Studies or Islamic and Near Eastern Studies may do so under the auspices of a PhD granting department or program at Washington University (such as History, Anthropology, or Comparative Literature) in cooperation with participating faculty from JIMES. In such instances, the prospective student should apply directly to the appropriate disciplinary department or program at Washington University. Learn more with this program in Islamic and Near Eastern Studies from Washington University in St. Louis.
- The Late Ottoman Middle East
- The Middle East in the Twentieth Century
- Muhammad in History and Literature
- Colonial Cities and the Making of Modernity
- Historical Methods-Middle Eastern History: Law and Revolution in Modern Egypt
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies View 806 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A minimum of 36 credits from graduate-level courses, which may include up to 6 units transferred from another institution. (Note: first or second-year language classes do not count toward these 36 credits.)
- Successful completion of third-year Arabic
- Ability to use Arabic source material and scholarly articles, to be demonstrated in at least one major seminar paper
- A second major research paper to be written either in a second seminar or in an independent study to be supervised by one of the faculty associated with the program
- Students have the option of writing a Master’s thesis in place of the two major research papers (see also Policies and Timelines).
- At the end of their program of study, degree candidates are required to complete successfully an oral examination, lasting no more than one hour, based on either the two research papers submitted (and revised) for this purpose or the Master’s thesis.
International57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 24 months.
National57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Saint Louis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.