The program encompasses several approaches, all directed to increasing the student's ability to think and write critically about music and music-making. Students study analytical methods and theoretical knowledge in order to learn how such approaches enhance the understanding of musical works. They are exposed to research methods, notation and editing principles, source studies, and stemmatics to provide background on how to develop a critical text as the basis for musical interpretation. Learn more with this program in Musicology from Washington University in St. Louis.
- The early Western periods are also well-represented, as is a strong cultural theory component, directed at jazz and ethnomusicology. Another distinctive aspect of this program is the focus that it places on preparing students for a career in teaching as well as in research. Students develop their teaching skills with the help of individual faculty mentors, and they have the opportunity to be teaching assistants in both history and theory courses.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a completed online application plus fee
- a curriculum vitae
- a personal statement describing your primary area(s) of interest and your rationale for graduate study
- a writing sample of eight-to-twelve pages; please upload to the GSAS website under 'Supplemental Forms'
- transcript(s) from undergraduate institution(s)
- three letters of recommendation
International57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 12 months.
National57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Saint Louis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.