Students are challenged to:
- frame architectural inquiries within social, cultural, and interdisciplinary contexts with an emphasis on Asia and the Pacific and tropical climates;
- investigate local/global relations evidenced in theory and practice with an emphasis on the quality of the built and natural environment;
- critically test and expand the definitions of and relationships between the academy and the profession;
- use research as a basis for the grounding of design and as a primary means of expanding knowledge in the discipline;
- participate with local and international partners in applied design research and community outreach projects; and
- Investigate the unique Hawaiian sense of place and its applicability to other international locations.
The program culminates in a capstone project combining research and design. The school’s Asia-Pacific focus is integrated into the curriculum including studio, architectural history, and elective courses. The program therefore aims to prepare students to serve as future professional leaders able to address critical architectural issues specific to the region.
The School of Architecture at University of Hawaii at Manoa responds to our unique tropical location in the Asia Pacific Region and practices its kuleana [“the right or value to a virtuous purpose, responsibility, duty, or obligation”] to advocate cultural, environmental, and social diversity.
- Complex Advanced Design
- Contemporary Design
- Urban Design
- Research Methods
- Comprehensive Studio
- Advanced Professional Practice
- Asia-Pacific Architecture
- History & Theory
- Research Seminar
- Capstone Studio
- Capstone Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Graphic Design Landscape Architecture View 15 other Masters in Architecture in United States
- Hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education.
- Submit a copy of the passport identification pages, or a copy of the national identification card if a passport is not available.
- Submit one transcript or academic record from each institution of higher education attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take English Language Proficiency.
- Show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses, including expenses for any accompanying spouse or children.
International16824 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per year during 12 months.
National16824 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State7800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.