About this Teaching English as a Second Language - Applied Linguistics Degree
Students at Iowa State University admitted to graduate study can declare up to two of the seven elective disciplinary specializations: Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL), Language Assessment, English for Specific Purposes (ESP), Literacy, Literature in ESL, Corpus and Computational Linguistics, and Teaching English to L1 Spanish Learners.
- Demonstrate independence, reflective practices and professionalism in teaching and assessment of English as a second language.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and confidence with the use of computer applications relevant to teaching English language teaching.
- Formulate important research questions to for guiding investigations that contribute to theory and practice in one or more areas of applied linguistics.
- Carry out research in one area of applied linguistics that will increase understanding of English language teaching.
- Evaluate research in the field to identify its contribution to theory, research and practice in applied linguistics.
- Communicate ideas, discoveries, and findings to others in a professional and creative manner.
- Collaborate with other professionals to create and investigate new knowledge, practices and products for English language teaching
- Second Language Assessment
- Corpus Approaches to Grammatical Analysis
- Supervised Practice Teaching in TESL
- Literacy: Issues and Methods for Nonnative Speakers of English or
- Research and Teaching of Second Language Pronunciation
- Teaching Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Linguistics Teaching English View 1865 other Masters in Teaching in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Iowa State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Scanned official academic transcripts and degree statements
- Nonnative speakers of English must submit an audio or video file demonstrating competence in spoken English
- Nonnative speakers of English submit English proficiency examination scores (if applicable)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of purpose and personal goals
- Writing sample(s)
- Application for Teaching Assistantship in the Department of English
- Program-specific requirements and instructions
International28544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14272 USD per semester during 24 months.
National26776 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13388 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State10572 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5286 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Ames
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.