M.A.T. Teaching candidates at Southern Illinois University select an area of concentration most compatible with coursework in the major content area that was completed during a bachelor’s degree program. Area of secondary concentration options include:
- English Language Arts
- Science - Biology
- Science - Chemistry
- Social Science - History
Upon graduation from the program, candidates will be licensed to teach in a school system in Illinois or in a state offering reciprocity. They will be broadly prepared in their content areas and will possess leadership experience pertinent to the public school setting.
M.A.T. candidates advance through the program as members of an interdisciplinary cohort of no more than 25 students and are required to work collaboratively within that cohort to investigate and make recommendations about school-based programs and issues using action research methodologies.
- Teaching and Learning
- Research Methods in Education
- Characteristics and Methods for Teaching Exceptional Children
- Literacy Instruction for Secondary and Adult Education
- Action Research Methods
- Literacy Instruction for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
- Clinical Experiences in Teaching
- Content Area Methods*
- Secondary School Curriculum
- Advanced Teaching Methods
- Instructional Leadership (Teacher Leadership)
- New Literacies & Emerging Technologies in a Participatory Culture
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Adult Education Teaching View 3470 other Masters in Education in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Southern Illinois University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Applicants with undergraduate content area backgrounds currently experiencing national teacher shortages will receive priority in admission decisions, but other applicants meeting admission requirements will be considered.
In addition to materials required for general admission to the School of Education and the Graduate School, M.A.T. applicants must submit:
- a résumé;
- original letters of reference from two persons familiar with the candidate’s undergraduate performance or who can comment specifically about the candidate’s ability to succeed in an accelerated graduate-level degree program;
- an overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 (based on a 4.00 scale).
In the case of graduate students who have completed 12 or more hours of graduate level course work, the graduate GPA is used, and it must meet or exceed 3.00 (based on a 4.00 scale).
International35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 15 months.
National35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 15 months.
In-State14085 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14085 USD per year during 15 months.
Living costs for Carbondale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.