The MFA program at the SIU School of Art and Design is one of the leading graduate programs in the country. We maintain a vital, creative environment in which emerging artists with strong motivation may develop, through intensive studio practice and appropriate scholarly support, a clear, mature, and professional focus to their creative life.
The core of any program is the in-depth studio practice of individual studio disciplines and frequent, sustained contact with working professional faculty and fellow students. This work is supported and extended through formal studio course work, studies in the history of art, and through access to the many resources and opportunities inherent in a large multipurpose university.
Careers in Art
Graduates of the art and design program at Southern Illinois University are prepared to work in any number of art fields, from running galleries and art studios, to academia, residencies, design and so much more. The inter-disciplinary focus of our program gives you an added edge and equips you to reach all of your professional goals.
- Museum Studies: Learning in Museums
- Research Seminar in Art History
- Methods and Theory of the History of Art and Visual Culture
- Moving Image Art
- Graphic Design
- Modern/Contemporary Art
- Readings in Art History
- Advanced Design
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Art History View 458 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Southern Illinois University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Online application to School of Art and Design. ($10 fee applies)
- Cover Letter: Upload PDF file during above online application stating your intention to apply to a specific area and including a statement of present perspective on your work and your interest in pursuing graduate studies.
- Letters of Recommendation: request at least three (3) references during above online application. Recommenders will be uploading the letters – not the applicant.
- Official Transcript: You are required to have one (1) official transcript from each post-secondary school sent to the School of Art and Design
- 15-20 digital samples of recent work: upload during online application above. Images (up to 5MB each), Video (up to 250MB each), Audio (up to 30MB each), PDFs (up to 10MB each) and Models (Sketchfab). You may also link to media from YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud.
International35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 30 months.
National35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 30 months.
In-State14085 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14085 USD per year during 30 months.
Living costs for Carbondale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.