The Transborder Studies MAS program from Arizona State University is designed for students interested in border issues and communities. Students learn from interdisciplinary scholars, both in the social sciences and humanities, in order to develop their individualized plan of study and focus area.
The program has historically been grounded in and inspired by the geographical specificity of the U.S.-Mexico border. Given the massive scale of globalization in the 21st century and its influence on local, regional, national, subnational and international environments, the program examines transborder regions and populations around the world, including metaphorical, linguistic and cultural borders, as well as patterns and implications of immigration and migration.
Students have the opportunity to engage in innovative research or applied experiences. Depending on the plan of study, students may focus on a trajectory in academia with interests to pursue research opportunities or a doctoral degree. Students who wish to pursue career options outside of academia may focus the plan of study on a more professional and applied track with potential interest in local, state, national, non-governmental organizations or international agencies.
- Transborder Studies
- Epistemologies and Transborder Thought
- Tools for Transborder Research
- Theories and Methods of Migration, Health and Applied Social Policy in a Transborder Theory and Methods of Transborder Media and Expressive Culture
- Theory and Methods of Transborder Cultural Acquisition, Language Development and Learning
- Internship in Transborder Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEthnic Studies Language Studies International Relations View 381 other Masters in International Relations in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Arizona State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree in the social sciences, humanities, sciences, health, education, business or professional field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- personal statement
- writing sample
- resume or curriculum vitae
- three letter of recommendation (colleagues or professors)
- proof of English proficiency
International26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26460 USD per year during 12 months.
National24498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24498 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12014 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12014 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.