The Language Teaching MA program from Arizona State University prepares both current and aspiring language teachers with the tools they need to effectively teach languages in the secondary schools and in higher education. This new program helps ASU meet local, regional and national needs, and it provide professional development to practicing language teachers in K-12, community colleges or at the university level.
Teachers in Arizona who are interested in continuing their professional development in both language pedagogy and language proficiency can pursue this degree. Teachers receive training in teaching methodologies, second language acquisition, heritage language pedagogy, computer-assisted language teaching, applied linguistics, and the teaching of literature and culture. In addition, this program may also interest other individuals who wish to become highly proficient bilinguals.
Professionals with this degree can confidently move into academic and business fields. Language skills developed through this program are valued for teaching positions, translation work or work in a larger sector such as business, government and public administration careers.
Career examples include:
- adult basic and secondary education and literacy teachers and instructors
- foreign language and literature teachers and professors
- high school teachers
- instructional coordinators
- instructional designers and technologists
- interpreters and translators
- middle school teachers
- reporters and correspondents
- Second Language Methodologies
- Studies in Second Language Acquisition
- Studies in Linguistics
- Phonology and Morphology
- Modern Grammar
- Critical Reading and Writing About Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics View 1098 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree in a foreign language, applied linguistics, linguistics, literature, education or a related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- letter of intent or written statement
- two letters of recommendation
- proof of target language proficiency
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.