The fundamentals of the interdisciplinary field of acoustics bridge the sciences, engineering, and arts, with application to a wide variety of industries, including audio, biology, medicine, geology, electronics, physics, music, and architecture, as well as the military. As a student in this Acoustics program at Pennsylvania State University, you can gain an in-depth understanding of these fundamentals that can lead to a number of opportunities for professional growth.
To apply to this program, you should hold a bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, mathematics, or a closely related field that would provide substantial preparation in mathematics. All students applying for degree status must have a minimum of four semesters of calculus (including differential equations) and a minimum of two semesters of calculus-based physics.
This interdisciplinary degree can prepare you for a number of professional roles across a breadth of industries. Many graduates of the M.Eng. in Acoustics program are employed in fields including:
- Architectural acoustics — designing and testing the acoustics of rooms and buildings
- Audio-engineering — designing acoustic transducers for audio devices
- Underwater acoustics — underwater sound propagation, signal processing, sonar
- Noise and vibration control — controlling unwanted sound indoors and outdoors
- Engineering acoustics — medical diagnostics, communications, seismic surveying
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elements of Acoustics and Vibration
- Elements of Waves in Fluids
- Signal Analysis for Acoustics and Vibration
- Electroacoustic Transducers
- Acoustics in Fluid Media
- Advanced Signal Analysis for Acoustics and Vibration
- Sound-Structure Interaction
- Noise Control Engineering
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArchitecture Physics General Engineering & Technology View 30 other Masters in Physics in United States
- For admission to the Graduate School, you must hold either (1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or (2) a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended, regardless of the number of credits or semesters completed.
- GPA and Test Scores — All applicants are expected to have earned a junior/senior grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.
- GRE or GMAT scores are NOT required for admission but will be considered if provided.
- English Proficiency
- References (2)
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Purpose — Provide a one-page summary of your academic goals
International28500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 950 USD per credit during 12 months.
National28500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 950 USD per credit during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.