Participatory Urbanism fuses research, design, advocacy and leadership in unique and transdisciplinary ways. We bring together technology, practice and activism in different strengths and scales across the program’s innovative pedagogy, year-long “design think tanks” where students and professors work together to define questions, propose solutions, and disseminate their findings.
We have deep links and interests in both the Global North and Global South, as well as across the emerging economies of the East. Equity, democracy, intelligence, and efficacy are understood as key and important urban tools.
What you'll study
Students in the Urban Design program at The City University of New York will learn how to adapt and translate conventional methods of analysis and production to a new projective framework, resulting in imaginative proposals that productively tap into infrastructural engineering, environmental planning, big data technology, and digital protocols that are fundamentally reshaping our built environments.
The program is designed to be completed in two full-time, sequential semesters. Applicants to the Urban Design programs should hold a professional degree in either architecture or landscape architecture. Applicants from other backgrounds will be considered only in exceptional circumstances and on demonstration of a high level of design ability.
- Urban Design Studio
- History of Urban Space
- Reading the City
- Urban Ecologies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Ecology Urban Planning View 428 other Masters in Architecture in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants to the Urban Design program should hold a professional degree in either architecture or landscape architecture. Students will be expected to start the program with an awareness of current versions of design software (AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop) and basic graphic design skills: color theory, fonts, and 2D layout.
- A portfolio of creative work is required for all Spitzer School applicants. The portfolio should reflect your level of creative ability and creative process and can include drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, graphic design, furniture design, garden design, photography, crafts, or other types of work.
- Personal Statement/Essay
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Application Fee (US$75)
- GRE (optional, in Standardized Tests section)
International27360 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National27360 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.