International Development from American University Washington DC is one of the best-established development programs in the United States and prepares students to meaningfully participate in driving socio-economic, political, and environmental development throughout the world. MAID is unique in its balance of practice and theory, its emphasis on the links between the global and local, and its dedication to equipping graduates to become effective and ethical agents of change.
Our alumni have gone on to build education programs in sub-Saharan Africa, create new ways of making monitoring, evaluation, and learning useful for grassroot organizations, feed and assist refugees, and enter the Foreign Service.
- Micropolitics of Development
- International Development
- Economic Theory
- Economic Development
- Survey of Economic Development
- Statistics, Research Design, and Research Methods for International Affairs
- 24 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics International Development International Business View 699 other Masters in Economics in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at School of International Service and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Undergraduate degree
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL/IELTS score if non-native English speaker
- Applicants must hold an accredited bachelor's degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least a B+ (3.30 or higher on a 4.00 scale) and should have had at least 24 credit hours of social science coursework relevant to international studies.
- A Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is optional.
International36387 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1866 USD per credit during 24 months.
National36387 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1866 USD per credit during 24 months.
Tuition for National students: $1,812 per credit hour
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.