About Science Education at The University of Iowa
The MAT in Science Education features advanced master’s work in science along with the courses required for certification. This degree program assumes the candidate has completed at least 56 semester hours of science as an undergraduate, but has no previous coursework in education. Students should have a bachelor’s degree in science equivalent to one conferred from the University of Iowa. An applicant with a strong major from another institution may be licensed only in that particular science discipline.
This degree is designed primarily for those who decide that they would like to become teachers and have already completed a BS and BA in an area of science.
Your academic advisor will help guide you through the requirements for degree completion.
- Secondary Education Orientation and Classroom Management
- Teaching Reading in Secondary Content Areas
- Technology in the Classroom
- Foundations of Education
- Foundations of Special Education
- Educational Psychology and Measurement
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Natural Sciences View 375 other Masters in Natural Sciences in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment.
International31254 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31254 USD per year during 24 months.
National32887 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32887 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State13939 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13939 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.