For those with Initial NYS Certification, this MSEd in Elementary Mathematics Specialist Professional Certificate from The City University of New York will fulfill the master’s degree requirement for Professional Certification. The New York State Education Department (NYSED) requires all certified teachers to obtain a master’s degree within their first five years of teaching.
- Minimum GPA for Retention - Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 to remain at Hunter College. Students whose grades fall below this standard are required to raise their GPAs to at least 3.0 within one semester.
- No F in the first two semesters—students who receive a grade of F or WU in any course in the first two semesters will not be allowed to continue in the program.
- Progress holds due to Incomplete Grades - Students with two or more INCs will not be allowed to register for any courses.
Key Course Performance Standards
- Students must receive a grade of at least a B in key program courses.
- Students who receive a grade of F or WU in key program courses may not continue in the program.
- Key Program Courses are identified by the label (KC) in the course title.
- An overall GPA of 3.0.
- Maintain a valid and appropriate NYS certification.
- Complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Mathematics in the Elementary School
- Research Seminar in Mathematics/Science Education
- Development of Mathematical/Scientific Concepts in Children
- Number Theory and Algebra in Elementary Curriculum
- Axiomatic Geometry
- Problem Solving Explorations in Mathematics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics View 4095 other Masters in Education in United States
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with an overall GPA of at least 3.0. Students with a master’s degree must have an overall GPA of at least 3.3 in their graduate coursework.
- NYS certification in Childhood Education Grades 1-6.
- Submission of official score report on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), except applicants who are certified teachers or school administrators and hold a graduate degree.
- Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience in grades 1-6.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11090 USD per year during 12 months.
- Resident: $470 per credit
- Non-resident: $855 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.