The Russian Studies programme at University of Birmingham is able to offer an exceptionally wide range of expertise with a particular focus on contemporary topics in cultural studies and social science.
Researchers have the opportunity to explore how the study of languages, discourses, and cultures challenges how we understand and experience the world.
The Department of Modern Languages boasts a vibrant and diverse postgraduate community and provides a range of support for its research students.
We offer two postgraduate research-only programmes, whether you are looking to complete your academic studies with a PhD or pursue your research at Masters level. Find out more about what to expect from a PhD and MA by Research.
Why study this course?
- World-leading research: In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF) results, 75% of research at the University of Birmingham for Modern Languages and Linguistics was judged to be ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.
- Excellent facilities: Postgraduate students in Modern Languages are fully supported to achieve their goals. They have access to excellent training facilities and opportunities to participate in research seminars and other activities as a means of developing a broad range skills and knowledge.
- Employability skills: Birmingham’s Modern Languages postgraduates develop excellent communication skills, whilst cultural awareness and foreign language skills are highly sought after by employers. Postgraduates in Modern Languages also have a range of transferable skills including the ability to gather and interpret information, organisational skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Interdisciplinary research: We have particular strengths in studying the interface and interactions between culture and the socio-political contexts in which they were/are produced. We also encourage and enable interdisciplinary research, and have a successful history of joint supervisions with other departments and schools, in particular with Social Sciences and Geography.
- Russian Studies
- Colonial and Postcolonial Studies
- Exile and Migration
- Memory Studies
- Digital Humanities in Modern Languages
- Medieval Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
- Research starting in January or September is encouraged, but flexible start dates may be available.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 529 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Birmingham and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK, usually in a relevant area.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent), usually in a relevant area.
Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases, form an integral part of the entrance requirements.
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK: £4,596 full-time, £2,298 part-time
- International: £9,900 part-time (distance learning only)
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.