Students attend compulsory modules then choose from a wide range of approved modules. Students also have to attend a non assessed introductory week at the beginning of the course which provides an introduction to Public Health in particular in the context of health services in the UK.
If you wish to study this programme to Postgraduate Diploma level then you will need to complete the taught elements of the programme but will not need to complete a dissertation.
Why study this course?
Our programme is an internationally recognised qualification in Public Health. It equips students with a broad range of skills that are invaluable for:
- planning, management and evaluation of health services, for disease prevention, health protection and for health promotion.
- developing a career in a wide range of professional settings, both within and without Public Health and Epidemiology.
The Public Health multidisciplinary programme from University of Birmingham also covers many of the areas necessary for sitting the Part A examination of the Faculty of Public Health.
Modules mainly take place in the Public Health building which is on the beautiful campus of the University of Birmingham and close to the University railway station.
We recognise that as a postgraduate student you are likely to have specific requirements when it comes to planning for your next career step. Employers expect postgraduates to have a range of skills that exceed their subject knowledge. Careers Network offers a range of events and support services that are designed for all students, including postgraduates looking to find their niche in the job market. The Careers Network also have subject specific careers consultants and advisers for each College so you can be assured the information you receive will be relevant to your subject area. For more information visit the Careers Network website.
- Public Health
- Epidemiology Statistics and Research Methods
- Practical Epidemiology and Statistics
- Health Information and Health Informatics
- Principles of Health Technology Assessment
- Health Economics
- Leadership and Management in Health
- Health Care Evaluation and Commissioning
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Administration Health Sciences View 450 other Masters in Health Administration in United Kingdom
This programme is open to those with a good first degree in any subject of relevance to public health; this includes most biological sciences. Applications are also welcome from UK medical students who wish to intercalate. For the diploma, applications are also accepted from those with a relevant professional qualification or sufficient Public Health experience at the appropriate level without a primary degree, e.g. registered nurses. If you are unsure about your eligibility, please contact the course administrator.
- Applications are considered as they are received throughout the year with places awarded to candidates meeting the entry requirements on a ‘first come, first served’ basis
- Applications from overseas students need to be received by June to enable enough time for processing. Applications from UK students can be accepted until early August.
International25740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £4,905 part-time
- International: £12,870 part-time
- UK: £6,540 full-time; £3,270 part-time
- International: £17,160 full-time; £8,580 part-time
- UK: £3,270 full-time
- International: £8,580 full-time
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.