You can complete your research project on any philosophical subject, as agreed with the supervisor, and there is a wide range of choice for the taught component, enabling you to build your own unique programme of study.
Why study this course?
- World-leading research: The department received excellent results in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF): 49% of research at the University of Birmingham for Philosophy was rated ‘world-leading’. A further 34% was rated ‘internationally excellent’.
- Extended research project: The Philosophy course at University of Birmingham provides substantial experience in the practice of independent philosophical research, and helps you to further increase your knowledge and understanding of your chosen subject.
- Transferable skills: The programme fosters critical and analytic abilities which can be of considerable value both in professional and personal life.
- Global Ethics
- God, Freedom and the Meaning of Life
- Human Rights
- Philosophy of Cognitive Science
- Philosophy of Health and Happiness
- Philosophy of Language
- Philosophy and Mental Health
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 251 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
For the MRes Philosophy programme, entry usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree in Philosophy, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases,form an integral part of the entrance requirements.
- If your qualifications are non-standard or different from the entry requirements stated here, please contact the admissions tutor. We accept a range of qualifications; our country pages show you what qualifications we accept from your country.
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National6540 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6540 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK: £3,270 part-time
- International: £19,800 full-time
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.