Philosophy is a self-standing research programme at University of Birmingham; however many students treat it as preparatory for a PhD.
It can lead to doctoral research, but also provides the chance to undertake scholarly research as enrichment of undergraduate study or for career development purposes.
Birmingham's Philosophy postgraduates develop a range of skills that are highly desirable in the job market, including: articulacy; precise analytical thought; clarity; rigour in formulating complex problems; and the ability to analyse and construct sound arguments.
Over the past three years, over 91% of Philosophy postgraduates were in work and/or further study six months after graduation. Due to the transferable nature of their skills, Philosophy postgraduates traditionally enter a wide range of employment areas, from teaching and lecturing to social work.
Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include: BBC; Friends of the Earth; Birmingham Children?s Hospital; Highways England; Ministry of Justice; and University of Birmingham.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Philosophical Research
- Global Ethics
- God, Freedom and the Meaning of Life
- Human Rights
- Philosophy of Cognitive Science
- Philosophy of Health and Happiness
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 189 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- For the MRes Philosophy programme, entry usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree in Philosophy, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases,form an integral part of the entrance requirements.
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6120 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6120 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £3,060 part-time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,906 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,700 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.