Our wide range of concentrations allows students of the Latin American Studies program at The University of New Mexico to customize their individual program of study to best suit their academic and professional goals. The MALAS is used by some students to prepare for graduate training in a specific discipline at the PhD level or in a professional school. Other students use the MALAS as an entry-level degree for careers in government service, teaching, business, travel and tourism, advocacy, or inter-American organizations.
Master's students craft their degree program by focusing on certain areas of concentration. Listed below are the concentrations from which students may choose. Students may also work with the Associate Director for Academic Programs to create an ad hoc concentration not on the list.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Africana studies
- American studies
- Art history
- Chicana and chicano studies
- Communication and journalism
- Community and regional planning
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesAmerican Studies View 65 other Masters in American Studies in United States
- Must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or its equivalent in another country.
- Generally, applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) or its equivalent in their last two undergraduate years and in their major field.
- Must indicate all academic institutions they have previously attended on their applications.
- In most departments, the minimum undergraduate prerequisite is 12 semester hours of upper division course work (300-level courses or higher) in the major field to which the student is applying, or in cognate areas.
International967 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 967 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National286 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 286 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.