Course offerings provide grounding in the history of philosophy, ethics, policy, metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of sex and gender, contemporary continental philosophy, contemporary analytic philosophy, and philosophy of science.
You will be taught by an internationally recognized faculty who are winners of awards and fellowships including Fulbright Fellowships, the Alain Locke Award for Public Philosophy , the CReST Fellowship from the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies, an award from the Fondation Brocher, and more.
- Faculty at our R1 university are committed to individual student mentorship. The master's degree in philosophy is designed both for students who intend to pursue a doctorate in philosophy and for those who seek the master’s as a terminal degree.
- Students in the MA program in Philosophy at George Mason University choose a focus on traditional and contemporary philosophy, or choose one of two concentrations: ethics and public affairs, or philosophy and cultural theory. Students have the option to write an MA thesis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Aristotle: Selected Works
- Figures and Topics in Ancient Philosophy
- Postmodernist Thought
- Special Topics in Contemporary Philosophy
- Contemporary Philosophical Figures
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEthnic Studies Philosophy & Ethics Ancient History View 360 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at George Mason University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants to the MA program in PHIL, including all concentrations, must have completed certain undergraduate preparation coursework with grades of B or higher in each course.
- 1 one-semester course in ancient Western (Greek, Roman) philosophy (GMU equivalent: PHIL 301); plus 1 one-semester course in modern Western philosophy (GMU equivalent: PHIL 303); plus 1 one-semester course in logic (GMU equivalent: PHIL 173 or PHIL 376).
- An applicant with a baccalaureate degree who has not met all admission requirements may, at the discretion of the department, be offered provisional admission if sufficient evidence is presented to suggest the applicant has the ability to pursue graduate work.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International44361 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
National44361 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State16833 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 543 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.