The MA in Communication from Northern Arizona University provides students with advanced skills in communication analysis, problem solving, critical thinking, research, theoretical application, argumentation, and written communication.
Students choose from either the MA in Communication (with no emphasis) or the MA in Communication with an emphasis in Documentary Studies.
The MA in Communication provides a foundation of the basic research methods, theories, and standards of argument in the academic study of communication. Students explore theories and research in a variety of communicative contexts with an emphasis on the application of concepts, theories, and research to real-world issues.
Students will be able to access, understand, evaluate, and apply research, concepts, and theories. Students will engage in original research and/or the application of existing research, concepts, and theories to specific situations for the purpose of problem-solving and/or evaluation, including effective message design.
Students will learn the expectations of academic argument in communication as well as how to effectively communicate their findings to diverse audiences.
The MA in Communication (with no emphasis) will be of relevance to working professionals in a variety of fields, educators, activists, and those preparing to pursue a PhD in Communication, Communication Studies, Rhetoric, or related disciplines.
How people communicate with each other influences problems confronting business, government, schools, families, and social relationships. At a time when relationships of all kinds are mediated by technology, good communication is more critical than ever. If you want to advance your understanding of how communication affects finding solutions to complex issues in a complex world, then this Master of Arts in Applied Communication may be for you.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Hospital public information officer
- Public relations professional
- Speech writer
- Internal communications manager
- Market research analyst
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University faculty
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Communication Theory and Application
- Graduate Study in Communication
- Seminar in Communication Theory
- Documentary Skills and Storytelling Practicum
- Documentary Research Practicum
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Fall Priority: May 1
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 539 other Masters in Communication Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants must have earned a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 out of a 4.0 scale for their bachelor’s degree to be considered for regular admission. Admitted students are expected to have undergraduate educational experiences, including general education studies, that are similar to those required for a baccalaureate at Northern Arizona University.
- Applicants who have earned their degree(s) from an international institution must submit official transcripts directly from the university or college. The transcripts must be in the original language of the country accompanied by an English translation. If the degree awarded and the date of award is not on the transcripts, applicants must also include a separate degree certificate document.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25708 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25708 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11000 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.