The International Heritage Management programme from the University of Birmingham offers you the opportunity to engage with a rich and diverse international research community based at the University and researching many aspects of heritage and its management across the world, and the practical experience of the Museum Trust in running heritage attractions. Through a combination of lectures provided by experts in their field and a programme of study visits, you engage with diverse aspects of heritage management and research approaches that will enable you to progress in the sector.
We also offer a full-time International Heritage Management MA (UK-US) delivered at the University of Birmingham in the autumn and at the University of Illinois in the spring, or an International Heritage Management MA by distance learning over one or two years.Why study this course?
- A unique partnership – Ironbridge International Institute for Cultural Heritage (IIICH) is a partnership formed over 30 years ago between the University of Birmingham and the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust. You will have the opportunity to work with museum professionals and world-leading academics to enhance your learning experience.
- Optional placement – we can support you to undertake a work placement to enhance your career prospects.
- Global outlook – you will get to meet people from all over the world which will impact on your experience through learning about a variety of different contexts within which heritage is being operated globally.
- Be a part of an exciting department – you will join a lively postgraduate community with opportunities to enhance your learning through external lectures, research seminars and conferences.
- Access to academic support services – as a postgraduate student you will have access to services such as the Academic Writing Advisory Service and the Bank of Assessed Work which will aid your transition from undergraduate to postgraduate level, or back into academia after a time away.
Graduates from the Ironbridge International Institute for Cultural Heritage can boast a wide combination of skills that can be applied to a number of careers, including museums work, conservation and regeneration, the management of historic buildings and landscapes, and cultural tourism.
Over the past five years, 97% of our postgraduates were in work and/or further study six months after graduation. Employers that our graduates have gone on to work for include: Birmingham Museums Trust; National Trust; Canal and River Trust; English Heritage; Ironbridge Gorge Museums Trust; and Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Critical Approaches to Heritage
- Heritage Conservation Management
- Heritage Management Practices
- Heritage Interpretation
- Research Skills and Methods
- Assessed Study Week
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArchaeology Management, Organisation & Leadership Museum Studies View 78 other Masters in Museum Studies in United Kingdom
- An Honours degree in a relevant subject, normally of an upper second-class standard, or equivalent.
- You do not need to have prior experience of the subject, but we would expect to see evidence of engagement with or enthusiasm about heritage in your personal statement.
International19170 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19170 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,906 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,700 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.