The scope of Sociology is broad. Students of sociology at Western Illinois University study social groupings such as families, gangs, business firms, political parties, schools, religions, and work. Sociology students are also concerned with social issues such as poverty, conformity, discrimination, alienation, overpopulation, and community. Their common objective is to identify the underlying and recurring patterns of and influences on social behavior.
- Community college instructor
- Social Services case worker
- Survey research assistant
Why Choose Sociology at WIU?
The graduate program in sociology at Western is focused on preparing students for a multitude of possibilities. Students will be instructed on both qualitative and quantitative methods as well as both contemporary and classical theory. We have two options for graduate students to complete their degree: thesis and non-thesis. Students will be able to work closely on whichever degree completion program on which they prefer to work.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Arts degree in sociology may be earned by satisfying the requirements of the thesis, general sociology (non‑thesis), or internship exit options.
- Regardless of exit option, a degree plan must be submitted and approved by the graduate committee before the thesis proposal, non-thesis paper, or internship report is presented.
- No more than three semester hours outside the department (six semester hours for Peace Corps Fellows), three semester hours for SOC 501, and six semester hours for 400-G level courses may be included on the degree plan.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
- National students - rolling admission
DisciplinesSociology View 406 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Applicants for admission to the School of Graduate Studies must hold a bachelor's degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate U.S. Department of Education regional institutional accrediting agency.
- Applicants usually apply for admission to a degree program simultaneously with admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, a copy of the application materials is forwarded to the program of interest for consideration.
International13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13830 USD per year during 12 months.
National13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13830 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Macomb
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.