The MEd in Special Education programs are designed to prepare candidates for careers in teaching students with disabilities. The degree offers students preparation in one of four program areas:
- Teacher of students with moderate disabilities: PreK-8 or 5-12 (Initial Licensure)
- Teacher of students with severe disabilities, all levels: (Initial Licensure)
- Reading Specialist (Initial Licensure)
- Guided Studies (Professional Licensure, Individualized Concentration, and Individualized Concentration/Dyslexia Specialist)
- Demonstrate knowledge of the field of special education, including legislation and litigation that has affected the rights of individuals with disabilities
- Demonstrate competence in teaching that leads to success for all students in the least restrictive environment
- Evaluate students to determine their educational needs and to design appropriate programs
- Collaborate with teachers and parents to develop effective teaching strategies that will enhance students’ learning
- Demonstrate competence in educating English Language Learners (ELL) and in the use of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) strategies and other assistive technologies
- Demonstrate sensitivity, understanding and respect for children and adults from diverse cultural, religious, ethnic, and racial backgrounds
- Language Development, Differences and Disorders
- Advanced Identification and Remediation of Reading/Language Based Learning Disabilities (PreK-8)
- Assessment, Curriculum, Strategies for Math (focus on PreK- 8)
- Physical and Medical Aspects of Working with Students with Disabilities
- Emotional, Behavioral, and Autism Spectrum Disorders
For more information, please visit the program website.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Self-paced, Semi-structured
- Regular optional meetings
- Proactive tutoring and support
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 877 other Masters in Education in United States
General requirementsAdmissions requirements are as follows:
- Official transcript of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of graduate level course work from a regionally accredited institution (if applicable)
- Graduate application and fee
- MTEL scores or initial licensure in any area
- An essay
International58 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 58 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National58 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 58 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!