As such, painting, sculpture, architecture, photography, video, performance, mixed media, among other mediums, are understood to be intricately related to a broader cultural context including literature, philosophy, religion, politics, and science.
- Students in the Art History program from the University of Memphis are trained to closely analyze art and visual culture from an interdisciplinary perspective, taking into consideration the creative process, viewer reception, and artistic function.
- The goal of the Master's program is to equip students with a specialist knowledge in a specific field of art and visual culture and produce graduates with the analytical training, writing skills, and research techniques necessary to pursue further doctoral studies or a range of employment opportunities in education, museums and galleries, conservation, arts organizations, or publishing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- At least 21 hours of graduate level courses (6000-8000 level) must be taken during the first three semesters, with Greek Art and Art History Methods and Practices being the only required classes.
- Before the end of the first year, students are required to pass a foreign language translation exam (preferably, French, German, and Italian) and an image identification exam. For the concentration in Egyptian art and archaeology, an examination in Middle Egyptian is also required.
- The fourth semester is dedicated to writing the thesis, which is researched and written over a period of approximately three months with full supervision from the student's faculty advisor. The thesis forms a complete induction into primary research methods and all aspects of the presentation of research. The topic generally arises from the previous three terms of study.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArt History View 243 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Test scores (GRE or MAT)
- Official undergraduate transcripts
- Letter of intent (indicating why you are applying to this program)
- A sample of your written work (a research paper, preferably in this field)
- Two letters of reference, at least one from a person who knows your academic potential in this field
International896 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 896 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National704 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 704 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State512 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 512 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.