The Childhood Education programme offered by University at Albany is intended for teachers who already have initial certification. In either an online or campus-based format, the program focuses on responsive teaching and empowerment for students and teachers.
The coursework brings together current research and policy to prepare teachers to teach children from grades 1-6. Coursework addresses the key components of literacy and content areas instruction, including literacy development, children’s literature, science, mathematics, social studies, writing instruction, literacy engagement, strategic literacy instruction, assessment, data-based decision making, critical literacy, family partnerships, and the Common Core Standards. Initial teaching certification in Childhood Education is required for admission into this program. If you are interested in obtaining your literacy certification, please consider the MS in Literacy degree.
- Classroom Literacy Instruction
- Children's Literature
- Teaching Social Studies
- Science for Children
- Literacy in Society
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Teaching View 1090 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Successfully complete a bachelors degree from an accredited institution with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Meet the Certification Eligibility requirements for your chosen program.
- Submit three satisfactory references (one of these must address the candidate's academic abilities and/or potential for graduate study; one must attest to the candidate's teaching abilities and/or potential; the third may attest to either academic or teaching abilities/potential, or to other aspects of the candidate's experiences or traits that are felt to enhance the application).
- Complete the GRE. The department will also accept the following exams in lieu of GRE: edTPA, GMAT, Miller's Analogies, or Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educations.
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11550 USD per semester and a duration of .
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11550 USD per semester and a duration of .
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5655 USD per semester and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.