The MA in Politics at University of Birmingham offers students insights into the causes and consequences of a variety of different political phenomenon across the globe. It is designed for students who are either familiar with the study of political science and issues at undergraduate level or who are enthusiastic to focus on this area of study at the postgraduate level.
Key issues and questions examined include:
- Where does power lie and how is it exercised?
- What is the role of the state and what is its relationship to society?
- Why are democracies not ubiquitous and why do we see a mixture of democratic and non-democratic regimes across the globe?
- Why do democracies vary in their form and content?
- Who wins elections and why?
- What role do electoral systems, social context and campaigning play in determining election outcomes?
- Why does political conflict emerge and how can it be managed?
Graduates from the School have gone on to work in a range of careers, with recent graduates working with organisations such as the United Nations, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, local authorities in the UK and overseas and the Department for International Development.
The School takes employability very seriously and as well as linking students to the central careers services, also incorporates opportunities to enhance their employment prospects, including highlighting work experience opportunities, encouraging volunteering in extra-curricular projects (such as student seminars and events) and by inviting backgrounds for students to meet.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Developments in Contemporary Political Analysis
- Varieties of Politics: the comparative politics of parties, institutions and regimes
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPublic Administration Public Policy Political Science View 398 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
For the MA programme you require a good Honours degree or its equivalent
You can satisfy our English language requirements in two ways:
- by holding an English language qualification to the right level
- by taking and successfully completing one of our English courses for international students
International19168 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19168 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- £4,625 PT (Home/EU students)
- £6,167 FT (Home/EU students)
- £3,083 PT (Home/EU students)
- £12,780 FT (Overseas students)
- The Postgraduate Student Loan has increased its maximum loan amount to £10,609
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.