The program serves many interests and career goals. It provides educational opportunities for both experienced professionals and novices in art education and related fields.
The program is approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to offer Initial and Professional Licensure.
Practical, theoretical & studio-based
Through self-directed inquiry, gradate students can tailor curriculum to their individual interests, teaching and career goals. The MAE program provides the necessary experience, whether the objective is to teach in public or private schools or community settings—such as day care centers, hospitals, welfare agencies, museums, alternative schools, geriatric centers, or vocational rehabilitation centers. Opportunities for supervised fieldwork exist in each of these areas.
For those whose objective is to teach in public schools, the program provides theoretical and practical experience. Graduates may earn their post-baccalaureate initial license through the MAE Post Baccalaureate, and the professional license through the MAE program. This is in compliance with Massachusetts state licensure requirements.
The MAE program offers a sequence of practical, theoretical, and studio-based experiences through which students build on their knowledge, skills, and confidence as arts educators. Interstate recognition makes art teacher course work earned at UMass Dartmouth reciprocally valid in many other states. The program also emphasizes professional development and lifelong learning for teachers who already hold teaching licenses in the arts or related fields.
The overarching learning outcomes for this program of study were developed to meet the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) standards, by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), and the National Art Education Association (NAEA).
The Art Education program of University of Massachusetts Dartmouth goals are to better prepare teachers to use 21st-century technology, national standards and Massachusetts Curriculum Framework, and to teach in public or private schools or in community settings. Students will:
- Develop reflective practices
- Read and analyze literature in the field of art education
- Translate aspects of important research into classroom practice
- Align curriculum and meaningful assessment to the needs of K-12 learners
- Implement research skills
- Collect and analyze data to inform decision making about best practices in art teaching
- Increase studio, art history, critical literacy and evaluation skills
More informationVisit official programme website
- Methods and Materials: Curriculum Methods in Art Education
- Development and Assessment in the Arts
- Social Philosophy and History of Art Education
- Curriculum Design
- Graduate Studio Art Practice as Research
- Special Needs: Current Issues
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 519 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Strong potential as an artist/educator
- MAE Professional Licensure requires a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in art education or related field + initial license to teach K-12 art
- Post-bac + MAE requires Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in art education or related field
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative average in undergraduate studies
- Portfolio which demonstrates capability for advanced work within a chosen discipline
- 2 letters of recommendation from previous professors and/or employers, evaluating the applicant’s potential for academic success, commitment to teaching, or quality of art work
- Statement of professional goals and program intent
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
International22183 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22183 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National22183 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22183 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State12292 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12292 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.